Polka Dot Fabric Guide
Polka dot is a pattern consisting of round circles regularly distributed on a fabric. Designs can be in various sizes and styles. The most classic ones are black and white, red and white, blue and white. Cotton and silk are a typical choice for polka dot fabric patterns. It’s used for making retro-inspired and trendy dresses, skirts, blouses and shirts.
Why is Such Pattern Called Polka Dot?
Polka dot pattern was called after polka, a popular dance in the 19 th century. The word polka came from the Czech which means “a Polish woman”. According to one of the versions, the dancers organized polka clubs and decided to introduce a spotted uniform.
Types and Uses
Polka dot fabrics can be found in various types. Usually, silk and cotton is the most typical choice, as this print is widely used in spring and summer. Here is a list of most popular dotted outfits:
Polka Dot Colors
Designers boldly experiment with color combinations of backgrounds and dots. You can find polka dots in any color scheme you can imagine:
- pink and white
- black and red
- grey and white
- red and yellow
- black and orange
- yellow and white
- pink and gold
- purple and white
- blue and red
- rainbow (multicolored on the white background)
Large vs Small Polka Dot Designs
Polka dot designs can be large and small. Usually the dots in one print are of the same size. Sometimes fabrics feature both large and small polka dot designs. Large polka dot fabrics can visually increase you, avoid them if you are short. But it’s a great option to make your breasts or hips look bigger. Small polka dot patterns will suit almost everybody and help you to look slender, but keep in mind that random pattern can add some volumes.
Fashion designers always look for new ways how to play with the spotted pattern. Some fashion brands like Caroline Herrera is mainly associated with polka dot patterns. Polka dot patterns are a remarkable feature of Alice + Olivia. Veronica Beard also shares a passion for dotted prints in trendy dresses, skirts and sweaters.
This season the polka dot pattern is trendy as usual. Get the catwalk ideas of the spotted dot items:
- long gowns from Alexander Terekhov Resort 2019
- pouf-sleeved, empire-waist dresses from Dice Kayek Resort 2019
- midi length full skirts from Anouki Spring 2019
- vintage-inspired looks in bold color combinations from Alessandra Rich Spring 2019
- ultra-modern from Kenzo Spring Summer 2019
Some other designers also embraced the polka dot trend. Among them are Emilia Wickstead, Comme Des Garçons, Marianna Senchina, Maggie Marilyn and Derek Lam 10 Crosby. Their 2019 collections are inspired by polka dot motifs with modern and retro allure.
How to Wear
Polka dot is an exceptionally versatile print. Everybody knows that you can make a 50s-inspired ensemble from a polka dot fabric. To keep it current, you can also create a wrap-dress, tie-front top or ruffled one and patterned playsuit. Try not to stick to a classic black and white combination. Here are some polka dot outfit ideas to incorporate a trend into an everyday staple:
- A silk wrap dress will be perfect for summer. Lightweight, with a mid-thigh length and short sleeves, it is versatile.
- Choose a top with a tie sash and strapless fit. Wear it with a crisp shirt for an elegant look.
- Opt for an off-the-shoulder top featuring a cropped silhouette. It looks well with jeans or skirts.
- A great choice for a true fashionista is a one-shoulder tiered ruffle dress covered in polka dots like Gwen Stefani. This one-of-a-kind silhouette will show you definitely know the trends.
- Try blue and white polka dot with a bold color skirt or pants. It will make an outfit to stand out.
- Accessorize a simple polka dot dress with statement jewelry or a belt. You can also easily create a stylish look by wearing this dress with a denim jacket and a pair of white sneakers.
Dotted patterns can look well with most of the other patterns and works for almost every body type. Team polka dot with other prints:
- Mix up large and small polka dots. It’s a good alternative to wearing the same size polka dot head to toe.
- You can wear polka dot with floral prints to create a spring mood. Just remember to choose complementary colors, for example, blue and yellow. Match neutral-toned accessories to balance vivid prints and vice versa.
- If you want to go bold, team the polka dot pattern with animal prints. You should opt for loose, long and silky fabrics to avoid an inappropriate effect. Pairing stripes and dotted print produce an interesting graphic effect. You can play with sizes of prints and create a trendy look in nautical style pairing a black and white tank top with a blue and white striped skirt.
- If you are not sure about bold prints, go monochromatic and try a solid color top or blouse with polka dot accessories.
Tissura collection includes the dotted patterns in different color combinations. We can provide you with polka dot silk crepe de chine, chiffon, georgette and cotton. Our fabrics meet European quality standards and the latest fashion trends. At our online store, you can buy polka dot fabrics from renowned manufacturers:
- Carnet (Italy)
- Fasac (Italy)
- Frontline (Switzerland)
- Avio Invest (France)
- Forster Rohner AG (Switzerland)
- HOH (Austria)
- Ruffo Coli (Italy)
Discover our polka dot fabrics and start shopping now! We deliver worldwide.
Silk Rainwear Fabric, 113 € per one running metre;
Silk Mikado Fabric, 148 € per one running metre;
Silk jacquard fabric, 121 € per one running metre;